Current Biotechnology Degree (3052) Students
Study plan and FAQs regarding the 3052 program structure.
The fourth year of the 3052 program is a research only year, culminating in the presentation of research thesis. To give you an idea of the exciting research projects currently available in BABS check this page.
There are a variety of scholarships available for Bitotech students, both for those still in their undergraduate studies and those looking to do a postgraduate degree.
UNSW offers a wide range of scholarships for students at all stages of their degree. This is a good starting place if you are looking for scholarships. Log in to the website with your student ID and find scholarships that suit your situation.
The Faculty of Science offers vacation research scholarships for undergraduate science students. Applications open mid-year. Click here for information on projects previously offered by the school of BABS.
Careers in Biotechnology
UNSW provides free career advice for all students (this service is available for 18 months after graduation). Learn how to write a successful resume, make an impression in an interview, or just receive general information on employment.
Ausbiotech is an organisation which represents the Australian biotechnology industry and offer student membership rates.
- Australian Biosecurity CRC for Emerging Infectious Disease
- Australian Centre for Plant Functional Genomics
- Australian Stem Cell Centre
- Children's Medical Research Institute CSIRO Education
- CSIRO Livestock Industries
- CSIRO Plant Industry
- CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems
- Dairy Cooperative Research Centre
- Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
- Department of Education, Science and Training
- Department of the Environment and Heritage
- Department of Health and Ageing
- Department of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research
- Environmental Biotechnology Cooperative Research Centre
- Food Standards Australia New Zealand
- Murdoch Children's Medical Research Institute
- National Health and Medical Research Council
- Institute of Molecular Bioscience, University of Queensland
- Office of the Gene Technology Regulator
- Invasive Animals Cooperative Research Centre
- Sugar Industry Innovation through Biotechnology Cooperative Research Centre
Diploma in Innovation Management
Biotech students are encouraged to take advantage of the opportunity to concurrently enrol in the Diploma in Innovation Management. This 36UOC program, which students commence in their 2nd year of UNSW undergraduate study, was originally designed for biotech students to give them the skills and knowledge required to translate scientific discovery into new technologies, products and services (which is the essence of biotechnology). The program (study plans) is now administered and conferred by the Australian School of Business and is offered to high achieving undergraduate students university wide. Biotech students who complete the Diploma have improved competitiveness for gaining employment in a broad range of careers in science, management, and business.
For further information please contact Dr Wallace Bridge, BABS academic and Diploma course coordinator (all INOV courses, SCOM2505, BABS3091).