BABS PhD Top-up Scheme
BABS PhD Top-Up Scholarships
The BABS PhD top-up scheme is a School-funded initiative to provide support to PhD students and to encourage them to publish their work.
The following PhD students enrolled in BABS are eligible to apply:
- Candidates currently enrolled all year (not on leave), provided candidature is on track for completion within eight full-time semesters or part-time equivalent
- Candidates must hold a primary competitive postgraduate scholarship
- Candidates must NOT hold any other top-up scholarship
For 2nd year applicants onwards (in addition to the above):
- Annual progress reviews must be completed and up to date
- Paper/s published/accepted with the student as first author with BABS listed as your affiliation on the paper. NB: Journal must have an impact factor of 2 or higher (publications in journals with no impact factor will be assessed on a case-by-case basis).Students will be assessed on their publication record from:
S1: 31 March to 31 March each year (e.g. for S1 2017: 31 March 2016 to 31 March 2017)
S2: 31 August to 31 August each year (e.g. for S2 2016: 31 Aug 2015 to 31 Aug 2016)
The top-up comprises a $5,000 (per annum) lump sum payment (for 1/2/3rd year students). For those commencing 4th year, the top up comprises a $2,500 lump sum payment (as the School will only support students up to 3.5 years FT enrolment).
Top-ups are awarded for one year (candidates must re-apply each year). Candidates who are unsuccessful in obtaining a top-up are encouraged to publish papers (as first author) and then re-apply when they commence their following year (if still eligible at that time).
Note: internally supervised students with TFS scholarships are eligible to apply and if successful the funds will be put into supervisors (sponsors) account. Students would then have to discuss with their supervisor how the funds will be used.
Each year, applications should be submitted to email@example.com by the following date:
- Commencing year 1/2/3/4 in Semester 1 - April 17
- Commencing year 1/2/3/4 in Semester 2 - September 17
BABS will notify all applicants of the result via their UNSW student email address
For 2nd, 3rd & 4th year applicants only: You can find journal impact factors via Web of Science (click on ‘Journal Citation Reports’ in the top horizontal menu).
All enquiries should be directed to the Postgrad Administrator: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone (02) 9385 2029.