How to Apply for Honours & MPhil (BABS)
Students are invited to express their interest in enrolling into the BABS Honours program by submitting the appropriate form/s. For all students, acceptance is contingent upon satisfying UNSW admission and academic requirements, and required resources being available within the School of BABS.
Click here for FAQs regarding Honours applications.
- Existing UNSW students should submit the BABS Honours Application Form to the BSB Student Office, Room G27 Biological Sciences Building. Students are required to submit a CV, brief list of interests and their academic transcript with their application form.
- Local students applying from an institution other than UNSW need to complete the BABS Honours Application Form as well as a UNSW External Student Application Form
Please follow the steps outlined on the UNSW International Office How to Apply page.
- Please note on your application that you are applying for the Honours year only.
- International students are also required to submit a BABS Honours Application Form to the BSB Student Office, Room G27 Biological Sciences Building.
- Each applicant must also submit a CV, brief list of interests and an official academic transcript with the BABS Honours application form.
Exact due dates can be found on the relevant forms, but please note the following general timeframes:
- The BABS Honours Application Form is normally due at the end of October for semester 1 commencement; and the beginning of June for semester 2.
- The External Student Application form is normally due early December for semester 1 commencement and early May for semester 2 commencement.
- International student applications are due 30 November for semester 1 commencement; and 30 May for semester 2 commencement.
- BABS Honours Application Form – for all applicants
- UNSW External Student Application Form (additional to BABS application form; for use by domestic students who completed a 3-year undergraduate degree at another institution))
- UNSW International Office Application process (for international students; additional to the BABS application form)
Choosing your Honours Project Preferences
When applying for Honours in BABS, applicants are asked to list five choices of projects and supervisors in order of preference. Students are then allocated to supervisors based on academic merit and available resources.
As the projects and/or supervisors nominated as your first choice may not be available, it is essential that you list five choices of project and supervisor in order of preference. Please note that three choices must be a project and supervisor within the School of BABS (in other words, a maximum of two choices may be external supervisors/projects).
NB: Applications will not be accepted unless five project preferences are listed.
Information on available Honours projects can be found here. Carefully review all this information and decide which supervisors you wish to contact for further discussion. It is essential to spend time with prospective supervisors and discuss the details of potential projects before submitting your preferences.
Email is the preferred communication method. When contacting prospective supervisors, please ensure that you indicate:
(a) which research project you are interested in and why
(b) which semester you intend on commencing your Honours year (semester 1 or 2)
(c) your availability times for a face-to-face interview
(d) it is important to attach a copy of your CV and academic transcript
Acceptance is contingent upon satisfying UNSW admission/academic requirements and locating a supervisor within the School of BABS. Students are encouraged to approach team leaders for further information about MPhil projects at any time. It is necessary for every applicant to have obtained the agreement of an academic supervisor prior to submitting an application.
For Graduate Research School information on in applying for postgraduate research at UNSW Click here
All candidates must apply online: CLICK HERE TO APPLY ONLINE