Reporting Hazards & Incidents
Hazards and Incidents
There are a number of situations and circumstances that can result in hazards or incidents in the modern workplace. Hazards and incidents are defined by the following (WHS Act 2011 & WHS Regulation 2011).
Hazard is a source of potential harm or a situation with the potential to cause harm to people, property or the environment.
A H&S incident is any unplanned event that occurs in the course of work, which could result in:
- workplace illness
- uncontrolled fire and explosion
- physical injuries
- equipment, plant or property damage
- dangerous occurrences which could have but did not injure any person
- exposure to hazardous substances or circumstances
- minor injuries
- any other incident that could put employees or plant at risk
(a) an incident that has resulted in a person being killed, or
(b) any other incident prescribed by the H&S regulations for the purposes of this definition.
Reporting Hazards and Incidents in BABS
All hazards and incidents in BABS must be reported online through the myUNSW online reporting system and alert your supervisor immediately. For further assistance, contact the BABS WHS Manager.
Here are the steps to follow when reporting an incident:
1. Go to myUNSW
2. Login with your staff/student ID and Zpass
3. Click “my staff” or “my student” profile tab
4. Scroll down to the Report/Manage OHS&E Issues
5. Follow the prompts
NB: On the first page in the "This issue relates to" box, the following options are available - please ensure you select the correct option:
For further information on filling out the myUNSW online system, please refer to the following guide HS713 Guide to reporting hazards and incidents online.
For supervisors, the following additional guides are available to assist you in managing hazards or incidents as reported by any of your staff / students;