Research Facilities within BABS
facilities and services available within BABS:
- Dingo DNA tests These genetic tests are carried out in the lab of Professor Bill Ballard.
- UNSW Recombinant Products Facility for the preparation of high-quality expression systems and their products.
- Seahorse Extracellular Flux (XF) Analyser The Seahorse is new technology for use in cellular bioenergetic studies, and can measure 24 wells of culture or isolated mitochondria in under 2 hours.
- Ramaciotti Centre for Genomics provides internationally competitive genomic services to the research community, including next-generation sequencing and microarray. ___________________________________________________________________________
Facilities and services available to BABS researchers via the UNSW Mark Wainwright Analytical Centre:
- Biomedical Imaging Facility (BMIF)
The focus of the BMIF is fluorescence microscopy, examining samples illuminated by high energy light.
- Bioanalytical Mass Spectrometry Facility (BMSF)
The BMSF brings together advanced mass spectrometric equipment and expertise to enliven and support medical, biological as well as molecular/macromolecular research.
- Biological Resources Imaging Laboratory (BRIL) (including Flow Cytometry and MRI)
BRIL is focused on providing state-of-the-art in vivo imaging for small research animals.
- Electron Microscope Unit (EMU)
The EMU provides microscopy and analysis facilities to the research community of the University.
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Facility (NMR)
The NMR facility specialises in analysis of substances using Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy.
- Spectroscopy Laboratory (Speclab)
The Spectroscopy Laboratory focuses on vibrational spectroscopy techniques, Raman and infrared, enabling chemical characterisation and micron-scale mapping of solids, liquids and powders.
- Solid State & Elemental Analysis Unit (SSEAU)
The Unit manages instruments for studying the microstructures of molecular and crystalline materials, analysing the chemical composition of surfaces, and determining elemental composition.