- 2017 - Present: Senior Lecturer, School of BABS, UNSW Sydney
- 2013 - 2017: Research Fellow, Charles Perkins Centre, School of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Sydney
- 2011 - 2013: Postdoctral Research Associate, University of Toronto, University Health Network and Ontario Cancer Institute
- 2007 - 2011: PhD computer Science, Artificial Intelligence (AI), University of Illinois in Chicago
Research Interests and Contribution:
Dr Vafaee is a Senior Lecturer in Computational Biomedicine and Bioinformatics. She has launched (2017) and leads AI-enhanced Biomedicine Laboratory at UNSW (www.VafaeeLab.com) which currently holds 15 members collaboratively working on deploying advanced AI techniques to address variety of biomedical pressing problems. Relying on multidisciplinary expertise and cross-faculty collaborations, Dr Vafaee and her team are developing advanced machine-learning methods and deep-learning models that leverage large omics data to find hidden structures within them, account for complex interactions among the measurements, integrate heterogeneous data and make accurate predictions in different biomedical applications ranging from single-cell sequencing analysis and multi-omics biomarker discovery to disease functional genomics and drug repositioning.
Dr Vafaee has a strong track record of multidisciplinary research leadership and industrial engagement. Her research has been attracted >$5.7M for over 10 research projects and industrial partnership grants including prestigious schemes of Cooperative Research Centre Project (CRC-P, 2019) and Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF, 2020). She has co-authored 35 publications (68% first/corresponding author) in prestigious venues—e.g., Briefings in Bioinformatics, Nature Methods, npj Systems Biology & Applications, Molecular Neurobiology, Precision Oncology and Nature Communications—demonstrating her research leadership and substantive contribution in methodological changes. Dr Vafaee's research has been featured in Faculty of Science Capability Statement in Health Science and UNSW Capability Statement in Biomedical Research.
Leadership Activities and Executive memberships:
- Member of Executive Committee, School of BABS, UNSW (2018 - 2020)
- Bioinformatics Coordinator, School of BABS, UNSW (2018 - Present)
- Member of Executive Committee in Women in Research Network (WiRN), UNSW (2018 - 2021)
- Member of National Computational Merit Allocation Committee, NCI, Australia (2019 - 2022)
- Associate Editor of Artificial Intelligence Review (IF: 5.095, Q1 in AI and Computer Science)
- Associate Editor of PLoS One (IF: 2.776, Q1 in Genetics and Molecular Biology)
- Associate Editor of Entropy, Genomics Special Issue (IF: 2.305, Q1 in Physics)