Postgraduate Frequently Asked Questions

What are the entry requirements for postgraduate study programs in BABS?

Entry into postgraduate programs requires the prior completion of a Bachelor Degree in a relevant area, as determined by Head of School, and English language competency as noted below. Students interested in enrolling into a research-based degree program need to approach the heads of research teams that most closely represent their interests to discuss potential thesis projects prior to lodging their application. Substantial laboratory research experience is required for entry into the PhD degree programs.

What are the English Language requirements for entry into postgraduate study programs?

Good English language skills are essential for success in the postgraduate science degree programs. All applicants whose first language is not English must be able to provide recent evidence that their spoken and written command of English meets the University's requirements before they can be admitted into a Science program. Please see the entry requirements for international applicants for full details.

I have completed an overseas postgraduate coursework degree. Can I apply for a postgraduate program?

Entry into BABS postgraduate research programs require research laboratory experience. We recommend that you apply for the Graduate Diploma, which comprises a combination of coursework and research.

What computer services are available to postgraduate students?

Each research group has resources available. Postgraduate students can also access the School's computing rooms as well as a range of student services and facilities provided by UNSW.

Where can I find information about BABS postgraduate degrees, including Graduate Diploma, Masters by Research and Doctor of Philosophy degrees?

See the Future Students pages on this website.

What fees do I have to pay as a UNSW postgraduate research student?

There are different fees and schemes for postgraduate candidates, depending on whether they are domestic or international students. Full details are available on the Graduate Research School's Fees and Costs page for International and Domestic Postgraduate Research Candidates. 

How do I enrol?

See the Graduate Diploma, Master of Philosophy, Masters by Research or PhD sections of this website. Further information can be obtained from the BABS School Office.