The PhD top-up and publication scholarship scheme is a school-funded initiative to provide support to PhD students enrolled in BABS and to encourage students to publish their work.
For more information consult the Guidelines and Application Form.
1st Year Top-Up Scholarships
- Candidates must be enrolled/enrolling in a BABS PhD program
- Candidates must hold a primary competitive postgraduate scholarship (RTP, UPA, UIPA or TFS)
- Candidates must NOT hold any other top-up scholarship (e.g. Scientia scholarship holders are not eligible
- No application is required
- The School will notify successful candidates
Funding: The top-up comprises a $5,000 lump sum payment.
- Candidates currently enrolled (not on leave), provided candidature is on track for completion within 4 years full-time (or part-time equivalent)
- Candidates must NOT hold any other top-up scholarship (e.g. Scientia scholarship holders are not eligible)
- Annual progress reviews must be completed and up to date
- Papers published/accepted with the student as 1st author
- Publications must be accepted within 4 years full-time enrolment (or part-time equivalent)
- BABS must be listed as your affiliation on the paper
- Journal must be in Q1 journals and have an impact factor of 4 or higher
- Students who received the BABS top up/publication scholarship previously for a publication cannot apply again for the same publication
- Candidates can find impact factors by searching for the journal on the Web of Science (Journal Citation Reports)
- Candidates can search here for Nature Indexed publications
- Applications must be submitted by October 21 via the online form
- The School will notify all applicants of the result via their UNSW student email address
Funding: Two tiers of funding are on offer for 2021. Funding will be awarded according to two-tiers.
- Tier 1: A $3,500 lump sum payment for > impact factor 4 publications in Nature-Indexed Journals.
- Tier 2: A $2,500 lump sum payment per publication with those supported dependant on impact factor only.
The School allocates a limited number of scholarships each year so this will be competitive against publication quality. Applications will be assessed and ranked based on journal impact factor and/or if the publication is in a Nature-Indexed Journal.
All enquiries should be directed to the BABS HDR Support Officer.